To celebrate our Independence Day, I've looked up some trivia and facts about the holiday.
What is your Independence Day IQ? Take the following test and find out. Answers follow the questions, so don't cheat!
1. What was the colonists' major objection to British rule?
2. Name three of the five committee members who composed the Declaration of Independence.
3. The first celebration of Independence Day was celebrated in what city on July 8, 1776.
4. On July 8, 1776, the Liberty Bell sounded from what building calling all citizens to the first reading of the Declaration of Independence.
5. The Continental Congress adopted the national flag on what date?
6. Who sewed the first American flag?
7. When was the first public Fourth of July event held at the White House?
8. How many men signed the Declaration of Independence?
9. When did Congress declare July 4th a federal legal holiday?
10. Does England have a fourth of July?
1. taxation without representation
2. Thomas Jefferson headed the committee. Other members were Benjamin Franklin, John Adams, Philip Livingston, and Roger Sherman.
4. Independence Hall
5. June 14, 1777
6. Betsy Ross
8. 56...and they didn't all sign on the same day. Fifty men signed the Declaration of Independence on August 2, 1776.
9. 1941...165 years after the creation of the Declaration of Independence.
10. Trick question...every country has a fourth of July (July 4)...they don't celebrate it as a holiday.
Have a great (but safe) holiday!